Applications for the Annual Four-Day Conference
Formal Showcase are now closed.
The juried Formal Showcase is the premier and most coveted showcase performance time slot at the NERFA conference. Only 14 performance slots are available - 7 on Friday and 7 on Saturday. Each performance slot is 15 minutes. The biggest advantage of being selected for a Formal Showcase performance slot is NOTHING else is allowed to go on during the Formal Showcase - not even Guerrilla showcases in the hotel rooms. You or your group have the undivided attention of the rest of the conference attendees We hold the Formal Showcase sacred. Many Festival Organizers book their entire festival and many venue operators have been known to book their entire season at just one NERFA conference.
Being selected for the juried Showcases at the Northeast Regional Folk Alliance Conference has been an extremely rewarding experience for dozens of performing individual artists and groups that perform in and around the Northeast Region.
The Formal Showcase is held between 7:00 PM and 9:30 PM Friday and Saturday. Professional sound, lighting and production services are provided and your performance is mixed, recorded and a CD produced by a professional recording engineer.
Performing folk artists - including but not limited to Appalachian, Cajun, Blues, Native American, International including Scandinavian, Celtic, Balkan, Middle Eastern, Latin, Afro-Cuban and various other forms of World Music, musicians, revivalist, traditionalist, singer-songwriters, dancers, storytellers -- all who desire to perform at venues and events in the Northeast United States and Canada are encouraged to apply to showcase for the NERFA conference.
The application process is open to everybody (except as specified below) but, as with all of the showcases at NERFA, everyone appearing in the showcase must be registered for the conference and must be a member of Folk Alliance International - either individually or via a group membership.
Any individual or group that was selected and performed in a Formal Showcase at any of the previous five (5) Northeast Regional Folk Alliance Conferences (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) is not eligible to apply in 2018.
Showcase Application Fees:
There is an initial Showcase application fee due with the submission of this form. The fee depends if you are a member in good standing with Folk Alliance International (become a member).
FORMAL SHOWCASE APPLICATION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Folk Alliance member: US $25
- Non Folk Alliance member: US $45
We STRONGLY recommend you become a member of FAI before you apply for a Formal or Semi-Formal showcase. If you are selected and commit to perform in a Formal Showcase, you and any performers on the stage with you, must have an up-to-date FAI membership and be registered for the entire conference. If you wait until after the selections are made to join Folk Alliance, there will be no refunds of the difference between member and non-member application or conference registration rates.
If you or your group is selected for a performance slot and you have confirmed with the NERFA office that you will perform in the showcase, you must then pay a US $75 Formal Showcase Production Fee. Additional post selection requirements are listed below in the "Additional Notes" section.
Applications to showcase at the Northeast Regional Folk Alliance Conference must be received no later than
June 3, 2018 11:59 PM EDT
Materials received after this date will not be considered.
If you or your group is selected:
Once selected, Showcase artists will need to fulfill the following requirements: These requirements must be met within fourteen (14) days of notification or this showcase slot may no longer be available:
- Either the group or an individual artist must be a member(s) of the Folk Alliance - group memberships are available;
- Either the group or individual artist must register in advance for the entire Northeast Regional Conference; we would think you would really want to! Performers' preferences as to time and day will be considered only in exceptional circumstances.
- Either the artist(s) or agent must pay the US $75 Formal Showcase Production Fee (which includes a CD of your performance), which is in addition to the US $25/$45 Application Fee.
- Showcase artists or their agents will be expected to sign a release regarding their performance.
- Showcasing will take place on Friday and Saturday evenings between 7:00PM and 9:30PM.
- The entire time block for each showcase performance is 15 minutes.
- There will be a 15 minute intermission halfway through each evening.
- A separate scheduled sound check will be conducted during the afternoon of your scheduled performance day.
NERFA's Showcase application submission process has been simplified. Please read the following carefully.
Once you complete and submit this form, a confirmation e-mail will be sent to you with directions on how to submit the following required items:
- Three (3) songs in MP3 format either sent via email to the NERFA submission email address specified in the confirmation email or uploaded to a unique Google Drive folder set up by NERFA administration for your use.
- A biography of no more than one (1) page in length in either Microsoft Word or PDF format either sent via email to the NERFA submission email address or uploaded to a unique Google Drive folder set up by NERFA administration for your use.
- Your submission should be representative of what will be presented on the NERFA Formal Showcase stage if you are selected. IF THERE IS A DIFFERENCE PLEASE EXPLAIN in the reply to the submission email. For Example: "These submissions are produced with extra backup musicians, but I will be appearing only with a bass player if I am selected."
If you do not receive a confirmation email with submission instructions within one hour after submitting your application, contact the NERFA Webmaster immediately via email to email@example.com.
If you are selected for one of the Formal Showcases, you and members of your group must be members of the Folk Alliance in order to appear in the showcase. You and members of your group must also be registered for the entire NERFA conference.
When you register for the conference, the registration fee at the time of your registration applies. NERFA does not offer retroactive registration fees. The earlier you register, the lower your registration fee will be. We hope you would want to attend the conference regardless whether or not you are awarded a Formal Showcase.
These rules apply to any showcase at the NERFA conferences - from Guerrilla to Formal.
Like the Semi-Formal showcases, the Formal Showcase is protected. Nothing else is permitted while the Formal Showcase is running.
This form ONLY covers the FORMAL showcase Application. There are separate application forms for the Semi-Formal, Private and Guerilla Showcases. There are also separate forms for Conference Registration, Tabletop Exhibitor, Website Banner Ads, Program Book Ad and Hotel Reservations.
REQUIRED FIELDS ARE IN RED